The Viking E-4™ and G-5™ residential/commercial driveway gate opener equipment lead the industry in linear swing gate operators. The Viking Driveway Gate Opener is dependable, long-lived, and trouble-free.
Driveway Gate Opener Systems
An Explanation of Electric Driveway Gate Opener Equipment and Options
Driveway Gate Opener Equipment for Solar and Electric Applications:
Viking driveway gate operators are powered by standard 120 volt house current.
The same Viking operators are ready to accept the Viking Solar "add on" upgrade package. / VIK-VA-SOCHP - $1140.00.
Solar Power driveway gate systems:
- Solar eliminates the need to dig trenches and bury electrical wire to supply electricity to power the gate. These savings alone will make up for the extra cost of a solar upgrade kit.
- Solar gate openers are not connected to the electric grid, which can and will cause power surges that damage the electronics in a gate opener.
- When an electrical source is a long distance from the driveway gate, solar is the solution.
- My years of installation experience have proven that solar is more dependable than 120 VAC electrical. I have almost zero service calls on solar-powered gate operators.
120 VAC electrical driveway gate systems:
- If there is an existing electrical source near the gate location, use the existing electrical source and "install good surge suppression equipment."
- N GA Fence Co. installs dual-layer surge suppression protection on all 120 VAC systems, standard procedure.
- CON: If the electrical source is a long distance from the gate location, this is when the cost of the 120 VAC Electric Driveway Gate Opener will cost more than a Solar-Powered system. Trenches dug, wires buried, misc. electrical boxes, connectors, surge suppressors, wire, more labor, etc., these things can quickly add up.
- PRO: The 120 VAC systems allow more sophisticated power-demanding audio/video driveway gate opener equipment options like the Wi-Fi or Cellular call boxes shown below.
With 8 hours of direct sun daily a Solar Powered Driveway Gate Opener is a fantastic option.
- Clean free power from the sun, no increase in the electric bill.
- It's not connected to the electric power grid - so power surges can not damage the electronics.
- It comes with a built in battery backup.
Truly trouble free.
What is included in a basic driveway gate opener system?
Viking E-4™ Class 1 Residential Vehicular Swing Gate Opener
A class 1 vehicular gate operator system is intended for use in areas associated with a residence of one-to-four single families.
The new E-4™ Residential Swing Gate Operator leads the industry as being the best, most cost-effective residential linear arm actuator. This unique design allows for a maximum gate capacity of 850 lbs. for a 10’ gate or 550 lbs. for a 16' gate.
It is rare for a residential gate to exceed or even come close to these weight limits. The E-4™ is perfect for the typical residential driveway gate installation.
Viking Swing Gate Operators feature a convenient manual release handle on the motors and a built-in battery backup to keep things running during a power failure.
Viking Gate Operators are easily converted to solar power with a Solar Add-On Kit ($1140.00).
Viking E-4™ Gate Opener Specifications:
MANDATORY AC SURGE PROTECTION: The Viking Control Panel comes with surge suppression circuitry from the factory. Connecting a separate surge suppression module in parallel to the EMI Board provides a dual layer of protection from surges up to 20,000 Volts / 10,000 Amps.
N GA Fence Co. installs dual-layer surge suppression protection on all 120 VAC systems.
The E-4™ offers a 2-year residential warranty.
Viking G-5™ Commercial Vehicular Swing Gate Opener
The Viking G-5™ residential/commercial gate operator boasts a maximum gate capacity of 2000 lbs.
Vikings G-5™ motor is now powered by the V-Flex control board, which includes a speed control dial and a diagnostic LCD display.
The new V-Flex control board can be powered by electricity or solar. Vikings V-Flex control board is solar-efficient and ready to take advantage of free electricity harvested from the sun. "Solar Upgrade Option required."
The G-5™ is UL compliant.
The Viking G-5™ offers a 4-year residential / 3-year commercial warranty.
Viking G-5™ Gate Opener Specifications:
Viking R-6™ "Pad Mount" Residential Vehicular Swing Gate Opener
If you have large gates that are in a high-wind area, a more robust "concrete pad mounted" operator may be required.
The R-6™ Residential Swing Gate Operator features the V-Flex control board with onboard diagnostics LCD display.
The R-6™ has a built-in heater and an onboard temperature management system.
The R-6™ allows for a gate capacity of up to 700 lbs, making it an excellent choice for heavy ornamental gates.
In high wind locations, the R-6™ pad-mounted operators can withstand the force of nature better than the linear drive operators like the E-4 and G-5 motors.
The R-6™ swing gate operator can handle gates up to 700 lbs. and 14 ft long. With its efficient drivetrain, robust stature, built-in battery backup, soft start / soft stop, and adaptive algorithm, the R-6™ gate operator is ideal for residential applications.
The R6 Swing Gate Operator has a 5 Year residential warranty.
All Viking Driveway Gate Opener Equipment includes two remote controls, a numeric keypad, and an exit sensor.
Two kinds of remote controls are available, only one set (two 4-button or two 1-button remotes), comes standard with the kit;
- A small 4-button remote that attaches to your keychain.
- A 1-button remote that you can clip onto your sun visor.
Two remote controls are included with each gate opener kit.
If you need more than two remotes, order at the time of installation: $50 each
Additional one-button remotes are $25 ea.
Choose between the two types of remote controls or select both for an additional $175.00. To do both requires a second receiver module.
Numeric Keypad for "Access Control"
Battery powered Wireless-Keypad
- The Keypad backlight will illuminate for 15 seconds when any key is pressed.
- Enter a valid 4-digit PIN, then press the # key to activate the operator.
- Codes can be easily changed as needed.
- Capable of 5 PINs and 10 unique temporary PINs.
- Included with Solar-Powered operators.
The EMX KPX-100 features a durable metal housing and backlit metal keys. Ideal for high-traffic areas and harsh environments. The KPX-100 easily mounts on gooseneck stands, posts, or walls.
This is the keypad included with 120 VAC electric gate operators.
The EMX Programmable Keypad can be used for Single Residence and Multi-User Residential Communities. Easily programmable with 100 assignable user PIN's.
- The wireless Liftmaster and the hardwired EMX keypad shown above have no audio or video communication capabilities that allow you to see or speak with a visitor at your gate.
- Their only function is to open the gate when a four-digit PIN number is entered.
See below for Audio/Video intercom equipment options.
DIABLO EXIT SENSOR
- Opens the gate automatically when approached from the inside by a vehicle.
- Drive by the sensor buried along the driveway and the gate opens automatically.
- Perfect for guest, delivery trucks, and anytime a vehicle needs to exit the property.
How much does an electric driveway gate cost?
These are rough ballpark prices. Many elements are involved for an accurate cost estimate.
Single Panel Gate Opener / Equipment and Labor Cost
A swing gate opener kit installed on an EXISTING single gate:
- Viking E4™ single $3875.00 installed
- Viking G5™ single $4180.00 installed
- Viking R6™ single $4640.00 installed
- Solar Add-On Kit $1140.00 added to the above price.
Double Two Panel Gate Opener / Equipment and Labor Cost
A swing gate opener kit installed on an EXISTING double gate:
- Viking E4™ double $4770.00 installed.
- Viking G5™ double $5500.00 installed.
- Viking R6™ double $7800.00 installed.
- Solar Add-On Kit $1140.00 added to the above price.
* The cost of a gate, post, and installation of a gate is NOT included in these cost estimates.*
Once you decide on a gate to purchase and know the cost of your gate, you can add the gate cost to the gate automation equipment and installation cost estimate shown above (Viking E4™, G5™, or R6™ - choose one / single or double gate kit ).
Add another $500.00 for the installation of the gate and posts - (includes digging the holes, setting the post in concrete, and hanging the gate).
This will give you a general idea of what your total job cost will be.
Optional Equipment For A Driveway Gate Opener
The following items are not necessary to operate your gate but will add useful functionality:
If communication with a visitor at your gate is required:
There are three options for audio and video communication with someone at the gate:
- Wi-Fi Home Network - If you have a good strong signal from your home network wi-fi at the gate, then the Wi-Fi Protocol is my favorite choice. Why? Once the equipment is purchased and installed there are no monthly subscription cost. The intercom uses your home network wi-fi to communicate via your smart phone, tablet, or PC.
- A Cellular Call Box is another drive gate communication audio / video protocol that uses a cellular sim card, just like a smartphone, with it's accompanying monthly cellular service provider cost.
- A Intercom Call Box that uses your existing home phone works great and there are no fees other than your monthly home phone bill. These are more costly to install because they require a wire to be buried underground from your home phone line to the gate intercom. There is no video with this equipment, only audio.
These audio / video communication devices are not necessary to operate your gate opener. These are optional upgrades that will add more features to your system.
Their purpose is to allow you to speak and see someone at the gate before granting or denying them access.
The wireless keypad and the EMX hard wired keypad shown above allow you to give someone a 4-digit numeric PIN that will open the gate.
Audio / Video Intercom Systems
The latest cutting edge technology uses your existing home wi-fi or a cellular service provider and your smartphone or an in-home monitor to screen visitors at your gate.
- Cellular solutions require a service provider with monthly service fees.
- Wi-Fi works off an existing home Wi-Fi network and uses the internet to communicate with your cell phone without a monthly service fee.
Wi-Fi Smart Phone App
Your Smartphone, combined with a Wi-Fi camera, a Wi-Fi-activated gate-controlling relay, and its accompanying Smartphone App, will make an inexpensive solution to receive notifications that a visitor is at your gate.
How It Works:
- After you get the notification on your phone, open the camera app to see and speak with the visitor.
- Next, use the "gate relay" activation app to open, close, or stop the gate.
Here is an example: The Ring Video Doorbell and the Viking Monitor . . .
RING Video Doorbell + Solar Panel
Use a Ring Video Doorbell 4 + Solar Panel to notify you when someone is at your driveway entrance gate.
Place the “camera/doorbell button device” at the driveway entrance gate. Use your existing home wi-fi to notify you, via smartphone, when someone triggers the motion sensor or presses the doorbell button. No monthly service fees unless you opt-in to use Rings Cloud storage.
- The Video Doorbell can be powered by a solar panel or with 120 VAC electricity.
- Dual-band wifi capable.
- When notified on your smartphone, see and speak to your visitor at the gate.
- Open your driveway entrance gate using the Viking Monitor or the Remootio "access control" app and your smartphone.
The Viking Monitor
The Viking Monitor:
This $70 device will allow you to open and close your gate from anywhere in the world using your smartphone, as long as you have an internet connection.
- Add a camera or a Ring Doorbell to get a notification someone is at the gate.
- Use the Viking Monitor app on your smartphone to open the gate.
- The "Viking Monitor" Smartphone app is available for both iOS and Android
The Viking Monitor will not work with a Solar Powered Gate Operator. The monitor is always "on" and will drain the batteries in a solar-powered system. (see Remootio below for a solar powered solution)
Solar Powered Gate Opener "Remote Access Control" Solution:
- A solar power smart gate "access control" solution: Remootio
- The Remootio sells for under $200, including the doorbell feature.
- This is a very inexpensive way to monitor who you allow through the gate.
A wi-fi camera like the Ring Doorbell can be placed at the entrance. The doorbell will send a notification to your smartphone if motion is detected or the button is pressed.
To receive fewer notifications, set the Ring Doorbell to send a notification only if the button is pressed. Deactivate motion sensing.
Once you are notified, open your Ring App on your smartphone and speak to and see your visitor.
Open and close the gate with your Remootio smartphone app. The Remootio Smartphone App is available for both iOS and Android.
This is a FREE service. There are no subscription fees unless you opt in for the cloud features.
More Wi-Fi Driveway Gate Opener Equipment Options:
WIFI Video Intercom - $3000.00
Use on existing home wi-fi network .
- Speak to and see your visitors from your smartphone
- Easy wireless connection to existing home WIFI
- Long range directional patch antenna at gate (up to 200 yards)
- Can call up to 4 devices at the same time
- Get a video call from your gate, even when you're away
- No SIM card, no call charges
- Camera: Color, 90 degree, 640 x 480 pixels
- Night Vision: Yes, by infrared illumination
- App Name: Predator Wifi
- Audio: Half duplex loud speaker mode (press mic icon to speak)
No Wi-Fi signal at the gate? Then a Cellular Call Box may be the answer. These require a service provider, sim card, and a monthly subscription.
This same call box will work with Wi-Fi or Cellular.
Cellular: Audio Video Intercom System with Keypad $3000.00
Pedestal mountable with modern blue illuminated keypad buttons.
Marine-grade brushed stainless steel construction with gloss acrylic trim and powder-coated aluminum hood.
- Speak to your visitors from anywhere in the world.
- Grant access remotely - Send a command via the smart phone app to open your gates.
- No Touch Access - PROX Cards
- Voicemail - Visitors can leave a video message when unanswered.
- Multi-User - Add up to 8 maximum devices per Intercom ID. (incl ADMIN user. 4 maximum for optimal performance.)
- Connect via WiFi, LAN Cable or 4G Access Point (Sold Separately) (Dualband WIFI. 2.4 & 5.8G wifi (802.11 b/g/n/a/c)
- Coin Cell Battery to retain important system settings while a device is off. E.g. date-stamp.
- The volume of the external speakers is adjustable at the call-point.
The problem in N. Georgia - it is only compatible with AT&T or T-Mobile and their service is very spotty.
NOTE: works with any standard AT&T or T-Mobile SIM Cards, it is not compatible with CDMA networks such as Sprint or Verizon.
Home Phone Gate Intercom:
TELECOMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT - LAND LINE HARD WIRED $900.00
DoorKing 1812-081 Residential Surface Mount Telephone Entry System
Intercoms that uses the existing home phone to communicate are "hardwired", meaning that phone and electric wire must be buried underground from the home to the gate. Gate activation is controlled from the home phone handset.
Visitors are easily identified by voice communication and can be granted or denied access directly from a touch-tone telephone
The intercom $900 - plus trenching and wire installation cost.
- Distinctive double ring identifies visitor calls from regular calls.
- Do Not Disturb setting.
- Hold open feature.
- LED lighted face plate
More Driveway Gate Opener Equipment Options:
Mounting posts and pedestals for the Access Control System call box.
Cost $150.00 to $400.00, depending on brand and size.
7-Day Programmable Timer
Timers make it easy to designate access and lock-out times in residential and commercial applications.
A timer extends the life of your equipment, reduces power consumption, and saves wear and tear on gate hinges and motors.
The timer allows programming of the gates to automatically open and close at designated times. Perfect for employee access, night time security, scheduled deliveries, and work crews.
A clearly marked box - emergency personnel are equipped with the key.
The Siren Operated Sensor, no key necessary. The Yelp of the Siren triggers the opening of the gate.
SIREN OPERATED SENSOR
SOS is used to open Residential, Commercial, Airport, Government and Military Gates during an emergency. SOS is the fastest way for emergency responders to access your property without stopping and leaving their vehicle to enter a code or use a key.
Every Emergency Vehicle already has the key: a siren. This system saves vital seconds in all emergencies with sirens triggering gate operators.
Not included in the basic package.
Optional $550.00 - installed.
HIGH VOLTAGE SURGE PROTECTION
All 120 VAC powered gate operators require a high voltage surge suppressor to protect the equipment from electrical power surge spikes and lightening. This is not an option and is included with all systems connected to the electric power grid. The surge suppressor will be sacrificed during an extreme power spike. The expensive gate opener equipment will be saved but the surge suppressor will need to be replaced. Surprisingly - we haven't had to replace a single surge suppressors!
Included with every 120 VAC gate opener installation:
Ground rod, surge suppressor, electrical work box, and misc. parts - this is mandatory for all 120VAC systems.
How To Manually Open a Viking Driveway Gate Operator
In the event of a system failure:
E-4 and G-5 Manual Release
When a manual operation is required:
- Lift the Release Handle.
- Insert the Release Key and rotate the Key to unlock the Handle.
- Rotate the Handle counterclockwise.
- The gate can now be moved manually.
R-6 Manual Release
- Remove the “Output Shaft Cover” or Hat.
- Lift the “Manual Release Handle.”
- Remove the “Clutch Key.”
- Gently Push the Gate to Open.
- To resume normal operation:
- Align the notches on the Output Shaft to the Clutch and reinstall the Clutch Key.
- Push the Manual Release Handle down back to the locked position.
Any discussion about driveway gate opener equipment would not be complete without mention of a manufacturer warranty. BFT has a outstanding 24 month limited warranty and excellent responsive customer support. For warranty details - click here.