A swing gate automatic remote controlled gate opener comes in two flavors.
- one that works off of 120 VAC electricity supplied by the power company
- one that is solar - powered by the sun!
Here is some information about both.
- Eliminate the need to dig trenches and bury electrical wire to supply electricity to the gate.
- Solar gate openers are not connected to the electric grid which can, and will, cause power surges that damage the electronics in a gate opener.
- If a storm knocks out the electric power, a solar gate opener keeps on working - powered by the built in battery bank that is energized by the sun.
120 VAC electrical
- If an electric source is near the gate location, then this is the way to go "with good surge suppression equipment installed", and a optional battery backup component if desired.
- If the electrical source is a long way from the gate location, this is when the cost of the 120 VAC Electric Driveway Gate Opener will cost more than a Solar Powered Driveway Gate Opener. Trenches dug, wires buried, misc. electrical boxes, connectors, surge suppressors, battery backup, etc. can quickly add up.
- The 120 VAC systems do allow for more sophisticated power demanding audio / video options like the Wi-Fi or Cellular call boxes shown below.
Solar Powered Automatic Gate Openers and the 120 VAC Electric Gate Openers cost roughly the same for a basic system that includes the opener motor or motors, the control box, a wireless keypad, a exit sensor, two remote controls, and installation cost.
A swing gate opener kit installed on an existing double gate:
- BFT PHOBOS A40 double $4200.00 installed
- BFT KUSTOS A40 double $4900.00 installed
A swing gate opener kit installed on an existing single gate:
- BFT PHOBOS A40 single $3800.00 installed
- BFT KUSTOS A40 single $4350.00 installed
These are reasonable ballpark prices. Add the cost of your gate - plus $500 gate installation fee - and you will have a good idea of how much a complete gate and opener, installed, will cost.
Solar and Electric gate openers are equally dependable:
- if electricity is close - use a 120 VAC controller
- if not, and you have adequate sunshine - solar will save you money.
With 8 hours of direct sun daily a Solar Powered Driveway Gate Opener is a fantastic option.
- Clean free power from the sun, no increase in the electric bill.
- It's not connected to the electric power grid - so power surges can not damage the electronics.
- It comes with a built in battery backup.
Truly trouble free.
GATE OPENER OPTIONS EXPLAINED:
Let's begin with the motor:
BFT uses extruded aluminum material to provide a clean profile that will blend in with any gate design. The powerful screw driven piston connects directly to the gate eliminating weak mechanical connections and it is fully enclosed to prevent dirt and other airborne corrosives from contaminating the screw drive threads.
BFT has two different equally strong and dependable motor / operator versions available:
The PHOBOS motor and the KUSTOS motor:
The advantage of the more expensive Kustos is the completely enclosed housing which is made possible by its telescoping arm. If your gates are in a windy location, Kustos has built in mechanical stops to resist unwanted movement.
BFT Phobos A 40
The BFT Phobos A40 irreversible electromechanical linear worm drive operator is a premium motor for swing gates up to 16 feet and 1100 lbs.
This is the most popular of the BFT swing gate operators and the one that we install on 90% of our projects.
A very strong, long lived, and dependable motor.
BFT Kustos A 40
The BFT Kustos Ultra BT UL linear drive operator is also a premium motor for swing gates up to 16 feet and 1100 Lbs.
KUSTOS BT motors are telescopic operators. The advantage of the system is the completely covered screw drive with magnetic stops in the same enclosed housing ensuring maximum protection against external agents (water, dust, dirt, etc.) as well as a total protection for people, preventing any type of access to the moving parts.
An inexpensive battery powered wireless coded keypad that is easily installed at the gate will allow access with a 4 digit code.
Most of our customers choose to use this wireless keypad - Simply give the code to family members and service people to let them enter, and when they leave, the exit sensor (shown below) will open the gate to let them out.
You can not see or speak with a visitor at the gate with this simple inexpensive keypad.
If communication with a visitor at your gate is required:
With a strong Wi-Fi signal at your gate, the B-EBA Wi-Fi Gateway expansion card, or a more sophisticated video and audio Wi-Fi Call Box mounted on a pedestal outside the gate are two solutions. Once installed, these work off of your existing wi-fi network free of charge and can be accessed from anywhere via your smart phone, tablet, or PC.
No Wi-Fi signal at the gate? Then a Cellular Call Box may be the answer. These require a service provider / sim card / monthly subscription, etc.
None of these "call box / communication" devices are necessary to operate your gate opener, they are available for the customer who needs to speak with someone at the gate and grant or deny access. The inexpensive wireless keypad shown above gets the job done for most folks.
B-eba Wi-Fi Gateway Expansion Card:
Connects to the web via the wi-fi protocol. Through the U-control management app, the B-eba card is registered on the home wi-fi network and thus allows the gate to be remotely opened, closed, or held open, and much more.
A visitor can call your cell phone, you can talk to and identify them, then allow or deny access right from your phone from anywhere in the world with internet access via the U-control app.
The IOS app can be programed to open and close the gate at a user defined distance from your cell phone using GPS proximity detection.
Other users (up to 5) can control the gate using their cell phone with the rules set by the administrator (you). The system sends the administrator a notification for each operation performed by a user. This feature can be toggled on and off from your smartphone settings.
It is easy to add service personal, the pool man, guest, etc. allowing them to use their smart phone to open the gate and then when they are no longer guest, remove the privilege - all from your smart phone.
This all works on your existing home Wi-Fi network for free!
PLUG AND PLAY: the B-eba Wi-Fi expansion card connects directly to the U-link central units; for wi-fi connection, simply insert the B-eba into the dedicated slot and follow the U-control App instructions.
IMMEDIATE DIAGNOSIS: after inserting the expansion card - lighting up of the two LEDs indicates if the B-eba wi-fi is in the network search phase and when the wi-fi connection is active.
DOWNLOAD THE U-CONTROL APP: thanks to this app (available for Android and IOS) you can control the automation remotely with your smart phone or tablet, monitor gate status - opened, closed, stopped, or moving (green status bar) and much more. Allow other users to use the automation on there smart phone, create scenarios, and contact your installer in the event of a problem - sending the last error code detected.
This very simple to use app works flawlessly. Visit the download page for complete details.
Wi-Fi: BFT WIFI Video Intercom - $2000.00
Free to use on existing home wi-fi network and cell phone
- Speak to and see your visitors from your smartphone
- Easy wireless connection to existing home WIFI
- Long range directional patch antenna at gate (up to 200 yards)
- Can call up to 4 devices at the same time
- Get a video call from your gate, even when you're away
- No SIM card, no call charges
- Camera: Color, 90 degree, 640 x 480 pixels
- Night Vision: Yes, by infrared illumination
- App Name: Predator Wifi
- Audio: Half duplex loud speaker mode (press mic icon to speak)
Cellular: BFT Video Intercom System with Keypad $2000.00
Monthly cell phone service provider cost.
Pedestal mountable with modern blue illuminated keypad buttons.
Marine-grade brushed stainless steel construction with gloss acrylic trim and powder-coated aluminum hood.
- Speak to your visitors from anywhere in the world.
- Grant access remotely - Send a command via the smart phone app to open your gates.
- No Touch Access - PROX Cards
- Voicemail - Visitors can leave a video message when unanswered.
- Multi-User - Add up to 8 maximum devices per Intercom ID. (incl ADMIN user. 4 maximum for optimal performance.)
- Connect via WiFi, LAN Cable or 4G Access Point (Sold Separately) (Dualband WIFI. 2.4 & 5.8G wifi (802.11 b/g/n/a/c)
- Coin Cell Battery to retain important system settings while a device is off. E.g. date-stamp.
- The volume of the external speakers is adjustable at the call-point.
The problem in N. Georgia - it is only compatible with AT&T or T-Mobile and their service is very spotty.
NOTE: works with any standard AT&T or T-Mobile SIM Cards, it is not compatible with CDMA networks such as Sprint or Verizon.
TELECOMMUNICATION EQUIPMENT - LAND LINE HARD WIRED $900.00
DoorKing 1812-081 Residential Surface Mount Telephone Entry System
Intercoms that uses the existing home phone to communicate are "hardwired", meaning that phone and electric wire must be buried underground from the home to the gate. Gate activation is controlled from the home phone handset.
Visitors are easily identified by voice communication and can be granted or denied access directly from a touch-tone telephone
The intercom $900 - plus trenching and wire installation cost.
- Distinctive double ring identifies visitor calls from regular calls.
- Do Not Disturb setting.
- Hold open feature.
- LED lighted face plate
Two remote controls are included with each gate opener kit.
If you need more than the two remotes supplied with the kit, order at the time of installation: $40 each
DIABLO EXIT SENSOR:
Opens the gate automatically when approached from the inside by a vehicle, just drive by the sensor buried along the driveway and it opens. Great for guest, delivery trucks, and anytime a vehicle needs to exit the property. $275.00
SIREN OPERATED SENSOR
SOS is used to open Residential, Commercial, Airport, Government and Military Gates during an emergency. SOS is the fastest way for emergency responders to access your property without stopping and leaving their vehicle to enter a code or use a key.
Every Emergency Vehicle already has the key: a siren. This system saves vital seconds in all emergencies with sirens triggering gate operators.
Battery backup system for 120 VAC electric gate openers.
Provides auxiliary backup power in the event of an electrical power outage.
Can be added to any BFT gate opener system.
All gate openers come with a manual over ride for use in the event of a power failure, the battery back up keeps the system operational if the power is lost so that you do not need to get out of the car and use the manual over ride feature.
HIGH VOLTAGE SURGE PROTECTION
All 120 VAC powered gate operators require a high voltage surge suppressor to protect the equipment from electrical power surge spikes and lightening. The surge suppressor will be sacrificed during an extreme power spike and need to be replaced. The surge suppressor has a LED for quick diagnosis.
This is a $375 install including ground rod, suppressor, electrical work box, and many misc. parts - this is mandatory for all 120VAC systems.